Welcome to award winning Junior Golf at Meridian Sun Golf Club. We believe that the future of golf is our youth, therefore we are excited to offer a wide variety of memberships and programs for current and future junior golfers in our community. Golf can only be learned by playing it and we strive to get our juniors on the course as often as possible. Many courses frown on getting kids on the course and offer programs only on the range or practice areas. Playing is an integral part of every one of our programs including the clinics for our youngest participants (ages 3-4).
We also encourage parents and grandparents to get their children on the course and give them the real golf experience as early as possible with proper safety precautions. Safety and etiquette are also a key component to our junior golf programs. We want every child to have fun learning in a safely supervised environment where they are taught to respect the game, their coaches, fellow golfers and last but not least, the golf course facility and staff. A comprehensive list of our summer programs are listed below. We also have full membership programs the provide unlimited golf all summer in our membership area. Click here for more membership information.
Click a tab below for more information:
The Meridian Sun Junior Golf Academy Click here to Register
"Coaching Juniors to Shoot "Par or Better"
The Meridian Sun Golf Academy is our premier program. It is a structured long term learning program for those interested moving beyond the normal clinics. This program is part of a national program that uses Operation 36 Platform. The object of the academy is to teach our juniors to shoot par or better or nine holes from a prescribed distance. The players progress from a distance of 25 yards from the hole back to the regulation tees. Each time they pass the Operation 36 test they move back to longer tees. In addition, the juniors are required to complete 12 objectives at each level. The academy dates are listed below. For more information on Operation 36, please click here.
- The Coaches for the Golf Academy Program will be Derek Choma and Chris Mory
- Academy includes weekly classes and supervised practice sessions. Each 8 week session includes can include two testing days and two Operation 36 tournaments
- Classes will be divided by age and/or experience levels. Some classes will only be open to experienced juniors or juniors enrolled in previous academy classes. Coaches will decide if a student is eligible for a more advanced class.
- Age breakdowns will be from 7-9, 10-12, Teen
- Academy Parent Orientation
- If you have any questions, please give Bill at call at 517-243-2631 or EMAIL
Academy Dates - CLICK HERE TO REGISTER FOR THE SPRING SEMESTER
- Winter - 1/15 to 3/11
- Spring - 4/10 to 6/3 Spring Parent Meeting - April 9th, 4pm
- Summer - 6/12 to 8/12 No classes from July 3rd through July 9th Summer Parent Meeting - June 11th, 4pm
- Fall - 8/14 to 10/7 Fall Parent Meeting - August 13th, 4pm
2023_Junior_Academy_Flyer.pdf Fall class days and times are listed below:
- Tuesday 4-5pm
- Wednesday 5-6pm
- Wednesday 6-7pm (returning students only)
- Thursday 4-5pm
Teen Academy (Ages 13+)
- Thursday 6-7pm
Weekly Junior Golf Clinics, Coaching & Play
Our Clinics, Coaching and Play programs introduce and coach the sport of golf in a fun and energetic environment. We teach golf skills by relating them to other sports and activities like tennis, baseball, soccer, throwing freebees and more. In doing this we find the juniors are more engaged and learn skills faster. Each week during the summer, we start with a skill clinic followed by coaching & practice stations. Then we them pair them in groups and finish the day some form of play on the golf course. The format of play may vary from scrambles to best balls to individual stroke play based on the players abilities. Safety as a key component of the program and all play and practice is supervised by qualified instructors.
Middle School/High School ages 11-16
- Fee: $210 (vouchers for 9 holes of golf or a large basket of range balls will be issued for any rain days or any days missed)
- Wednesdays, June 14th - August 2nd (Seven Weeks), No Class July 5th
- On our final day we will have a 4 player "Fun Day" Scramble. Rain Date for Fun Day is August 9th.
- 8:30-9am - Clinic
- 9-10am - Supervised Practice Stations
- 10am-11:30pm - Coaching & Supervising On Course Play
Weekly group instruction for boys and girls ages 11-16 on putting, short game and golf swing principles followed by supervised practice stations with skills challenges. Weekly golf events including scrambles, best balls and individual stroke play. The Meridian Sun coaching staff makes learning fun in a comfortable and safe environment. Etiquette is a key component of our program and students will learn how to cooperate with, encourage and respect the other players and the facility. Program fee includes a Meridian Sun Junior Golf T-shirt and the popular season ending FUN DAY with cookout and prizes for everyone!
Elementary School (ages 7-11)
- Fee: $210 (vouchers for 9 holes of golf or a large basket of range balls will be issued for any rain days or days missed)
- Thursdays, June 15th - August 3rd (Seven Weeks), No Class July 6th
- On our final day we will have a 4 player "Fun Day" Scramble. Rain Date for Fun Day is August 10th.
- 8:30-9am - Clinic
- 9-10am - Supervised Practice Stations
- 10-11:30am - Coaching and Supervising On Course Play
Weekly group instruction for boys and girls ages 7-11 will incorporate athletic skills, practice stations, learning games, and golf skills challenges along with weekly golf scrambles. Instruction will progress from putting to short game to full swing skills and advance from the practice range and short game facility to the golf course. The Meridian Sun coaching staff makes learning fun in a comfortable and safe environment. Etiquette is a key component of our program and students will learn how to cooperate with, encourage and respect other players and the facility. The program fee includes a Meridian Sun Junior Golf t-shirt and the popular season ending cookout with prizes for everyone!
Three Day Golf Camps
This three day program is designed to provide your child with the basics skills of golf. You can expect them to learn how to drive, chip, putt and pitch the ball as well as understand the basic rules, etiquette and strategy for playing golf. Our coaches pride themselves in creating a fun, safe, comfortable and energetic environment. We also use the most modern techniques, including fun learning games to help each camper get the most out of his/her three days. Student to Coach Ratio is 8 to 1. Camp programs are taught by Teaching Professional, Derek Choma.
- Camp I June 20th - 22nd
- Camp II July 18th - 20th
- Ages 10-12 (12:00pm - 1:30pm)
- Ages 7-9 (2:00pm - 3:30pm)
- Fee - $169 (Summer camps include on course learning, a healthy snack each day, Meridian Sun Junior Camp T-Shirt, and Final Day Pizza Party)
Tee fore Tots Parent Child Clinics - Age 3-6 Click Here to Register
This four week program is designed to introduce the game of golf to our youngest golfers. Four to one student to coach ratio with a maximum class size of 8 youngsters. With an emphasis on fun, the these juniors will learn the basic concepts of golf in a playful and safe setting. SNAG equipment will be used, but the kids may bring their own clubs to class is they have them. Parents are critical to the success of this program and are asked to stay and assist with supervision and coaching.
Fee - $89 per session
Sessions & Times:
- Ages 3-4 - 6:00-6:30pm
- Ages 5-6 - 6:40-7:10pm
- Session One - Mondays, June 5th - 26th
- Session One - Thursdays, June 8th -29th
- Session Two - Mondays, July 10th - July 31st
- Session Two - Thursdays, July 13th - August 3rd
Our "New" Competitive Junior Golfer Program is geared for high school golfers and junior golfers age 12 & up who are competing currently or who are ready to start competing in summer junior tournaments like the Meijer Junior Tour, Top 50 Junior Tour and the AJGA. Practices will be held on Friday evenings until school is our for the summer.
Led by Former Michigan State University golfer and Golf Digest Top 10 Teacher in Michigan, Chris Mory
- April 14th - June 2nd
- Fridays, 6-7pm
- $35 per practice, $240 season (8 practices)
- June 9th - August 25th
- Monday play days & Friday practices 9-11am
- $75 per week, $750 season (12 practices)
Practices held by coaches on once per week along with playing opportunities
- Designed to teach the skills and practice habits required to develop as a competitive golfer
- Connect with a coach on a weekly basis
- Competitive practices to develop and build successful outcomes in a competitive setting
- Discussions on all part of the game required to play competitive golf
- Team Practice style atmosphere
- Clear objectives and drills at every practice
Coach Now App practice group training space
- Record and track personal progress in drills
- Notes/summary for juniors on topics covered in practice.