Check out our Junior Programs for 2020! Registration is NOW OPEN!!! Click here to register.
Welcome to award winning Junior Golf at Meridian Sun Golf Club. We believe that the future of golf is our youth, therefore we are excited to offer a wide variety of memberships and programs for current and future junior golfers in our community. Golf can only be learned by playing it and we strive to get our juniors on the course as often as possible. Many courses frown on getting kids on the course and offer programs only on the range or practice areas. Playing is an integral part of every one of our programs including the clinics for our youngest participants (ages 3-4).
We also encourage parents and grandparents to get their children on the course and give them the real golf experience as early as possible with proper safety precautions. Safety and etiquette are also a key component to our junior golf programs. We want every child to have fun learning in a safely supervised environment where they are taught to respect the game, their coaches, fellow golfers and last but not least, the golf course facility and staff. A comprehensive list of our summer programs are listed below. We also have full membership programs the provide unlimited golf all summer in our membership area. Click here for more membership information.
Junior Golf Club Summer Programs
- Meridian Sun Junior Golf Academy Classes - Long Term Learning Program using the Operation 36 Platform (Ages 7-up)
- PGA Junior League Golf - Team Approach - Learning to Play Golf (Ages 7-13)
- Junior Golf Clinics, Coaching and Play (ages 7-11)
- Junior Golf Clinics, Coaching and Play (ages 11-17)
- Junior Camps Ages (7-12)
- Tee fore Tots Parent Child Clinics (Ages 3-6)
Meridian Sun Golf Academy - "Coaching Juniors to Shoot "Par or Better"
The Meridian Sun Golf Academy is a structured long term learning program for those interested moving beyond the normal clinics. This program is part of a national program that uses Operation 36 Platform. The object of the academy is to teach our juniors to shoot par or better or nine holes from a perscribed distance. The players progress from a distance of 25 yards from the hole back to the regulation tees. Each time they pass the Operation 36 test they move back to longer tees. In addition, the juniors are required to complete 12 objectives at each level. The academy dates are listed below.
- Click the following link to download our brochure.
- The Coaches for the Golf Academy Program will be Bill Mory, PGA and Stephanie Wagemann.
- Academy includes weekly classes and supervised practice sessions. Each 8 week session includes can include two testing days and two Operation 36 tournaments.
- Academy Parent Orientation
- If you have any questions, please give Bill at call at 517-243-2631 or email him at email@example.com.
Academy Dates - The Winter semester is 4 weeks in March and the Spring, Summer & Fall semesters are eight (8) weeks in length
- Winter - March 7ththrough March 28th (located at X-Golf Lansing in the Okemos Target Plaza)
- Spring - April 20th through June 14th
- Summer - June 10th through August 16th
- Fall - August 24th through October 18th
PGA Junior League Golf - "Teaching Juniors to Play Golf in a Team Setting" Join Our Teams in 2020! Click Here to REGISTER TODAY!
The 2020 season will be our sixth with PGA Junior League Golf (PGA JLG). We have grown from one team of 12 back in 2014 to three teams last season. Our goal in 2020 is to get four teams competing weekly right here at Meridian Sun. PGA JLG is for boys and girls age 7-13. (must not turn 14 prior to August 1st.) Teams play against eachother in a fun scramble format. Each team plays 8 players at a time in two player scramble matches. Each match is divided into three 3-hole games with each game worth one point (flag). The goal is to capture as many flags as possible. The team with the most flags is declared the winner of the match. All players will receive two jerseys for home and away matches, a PGA JLG Cap, a bag tag and drawstring backpack. To learn more about PGA JLG click here to visit their website.
Our PGA JLG program is sponsored by the Kiwanis Club of Haslett & Okemos and provides our juniors with a combination of instruction, coaching and playing opportunities. The teams are captained by PGA Professional, Bill Mory and assisted by parent volunteers. PGA JLG welcomes players of every ability and in fact many of our former players got their start in the game through this program.
- When does PGA JLG begin? Practices begin in late May and matches begin in early June and run through the end of July. Teams will have 8 practices and will play 5-6 matches. The practice schedule will depend on the number of teams.
- Practices and matches? Matches are generally scheduled for Sunday evenings at 5:30pm. Depending on the number of teams we fill this year, we play may all matches at Meridian Sun or compete against other teams in the Greater Lansing area. Travel distance to matches is generally no more than 25 minutes.
- How do I register? All players must register and pay at PGAJLG.com. The fee to participate is $260. Fees include team jerseys, bag tags, practices, matches, range balls at practice and practice time on the course.
- Volunteer Coaches Needed We are looking for parents to assist as coaches during practices and matches. Please contact Bill Mory at 517-243-2631 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Can my child play or practice at other times? During the PGA JLG season, team members are encouraged to practice and receive 50% off range balls and green fees. If playing with a parent, the team members play free.
- Can I watch the practices & matches? Parents are encouraged to attend the matches as spectators, however they are not allowed to caddy, coach or make decisions for players during a match.
This program brings coaches, players and parents together and we are looking forward to having your son or daughter on one of our teams. If your child has a friend they would like to play with, please let us know when you register and if you have any questions, please contact Bill at email@example.com.
Through our Kiwanis sponsor and the PGA of America, we have grants available to any family in need of financial assistance for PGA JLG. Please contact Bill Mory regarding financial assistance. All grant requests are private and confidential.
Weekly Junior Clincs, Coaching & Play
Our Clinics, Coaching and Play programs introduce and coach the sport of golf in a fun and energetic environment. We teach golf skills by relating them to other sports and activities like tennis, baseball, soccer, throwing frisbees and more. In doing this we find the juniors are more engaged and learn skills faster. Each week during the summer, we start with a skill clinic followed by coaching & practice stations. Then we them pair them in groups and finish the day some form of play on the golf course. The format of play may vary from scrambles to best balls to individual stroke play based on the players abilities. Safety as a key component of the program and all play and practice is supervised by qualified instructors.
Middle School/High School ages 11-17
- Fee: $149 (vouchers for 9 holes ofg golf or a large basket of range balls will be issued for any rain days or any days missed)
- Wednesdays, June 17th - August 5th (Seven Weeks), No Class July 1st
- On our final day we will have a 4 player "Fun Day" Scramble. Rain Date for Fun Day is August 12th.
- 8:30-9am - Clinic
- 9-10am - Supervised Practice Stations
- 10am-12pm - Coaching & Supervising On Course Play
Weekly group instruction for boys and girls ages 11-16 on putting, short game and golf swing principles followed by supervised practice stations with skills challenges. Weekly golf events including scrambles, best balls and individual stroke play. The Meridian Sun coaching staff makes learning fun in a comfortable and safe environment. Etiquette is a key component of our program and students will learn how to cooperate with, encourage and respect the other players and the facility. Program fee includes a Meridian Sun Junior Golf T-shirt and the popular season ending FUN DAY with cookout and prizes for everyone!
Elementary School (ages 7-11)
- Fee: $149 (vouchers for 9 holes of golf or a large basket of range balls will be issued for any rain days or days missed)
- Thursdays, June 18th - August 6th (Seven Weeks), No Class July 2nd
- On our final day we will have a 4 player "Fun Day" Scramble. Rain Date for Fun Day is August 13th.
- 8:30-9am - Clinic
- 9-10am - Supervised Practice Stations
- 10-11:30am - Coaching and Supervising On Course Play
Weekly group instruction for boys and girls ages 7-11 will incorporate athletic skills, practice stations, learning games, and golf skills challenges along with weekly golf scrambles. Instruction will progress from putting to short game to full swing skills and advance from the practice range and short game facility to the golf course. The Meridian Sun coaching staff makes learning fun in a comfortable and safe environment. Etiquette is a key component of our program and students will learn how to cooperate with, encourage and respect other players and the facility. The program fee includes a Meridian Sun Junior Golf t-shirt and the popular season ending cookout with prizes for everyone!
Three Day Golf Camps
This three day program is designed to provide your child with the basics skills of golf. You can expect them to learn how to drive, chip, putt and pitch the ball as well as understand the basic rules, etiquette and strategy for playing golf. Our coaches pride themselves in creating a fun, safe, comfortable and energetic environment. We also use the most modern techniques, including fun learning games to help each camper get the most out of his/her three days. Student to Coach Ratio is 8 to 1.
- Summer Camps
- Camp I June 23rd - 25th
- Camp II July 21st - 23rd
- Ages 10-12 (12:00pm - 1:30pm)
- Ages 7-9 (2:00pm - 3:30pm)
- Fee - $125 (Summer camps include a Meridian Sun Junior Camp T-Shirt and Final Day Party)
Tee fore Tots Parent Child Clinics - Age 3-6
This four week program is designed to introduce the game of golf to our youngest golfers. Four to one student to coach ratio with a maximum class size of 8 youngsters. With an emphasis on fun, the these juniors will learn the basic concepts of golf i a playful and safe setting. SNAG equipment will be used, but the kids may bring their own clubs to class is they have them. Parents are critical to the success of this program and are asked to stay and assist with supervision and coaching.
Fee - $49 per session
Sessions & Times
- Ages 3-4 - 6:00-6:30pm
- Ages 5-6 - 6:30-7:00pm
- Session One - Mondays, June 1st - 22nd
- Session One - Thursdays, June 4th - 25th
- Session Two - Mondays, July 6th - 27th
- Session Two - Thursdays, July 9th - 30th